In 1912 Edward F Kerins took over the lease from Thomas and Norah Greene. Here he operated as a Tea Wine and Spirit Merchant where he packed his own tea and bottled his own beer.
In 1951 Edward’s two daughters Mary Ellen and Kathleen Kerins applied successfully for a 7 day wine and spirit license and The Copper Jug was born.
The business was a bustling hob of trade in the town to locals, visiting traders and farmers. Weekly fairs were held in the Fair green and horses were stabled in their yard on Fair days.
The two sisters ran the bar together until 1985 where they sold it to Eamonn and Teresa Butler and remains in this family since.
Over the years it has completed renovation works but keeping the traditional charm and character of the Bar.